After the first I was eager to find a creative method to alter a shirt that I got in Jackson Hole a few years ago. It fit when I purchased it, but…it does not now, and lets leave it at that. I hated to get rid of it because I have been in love with it since seeing it in the store, even if we have been estranged as of the last few years. It ended up in the stack of repairs, the issue: Too tight.
The solution as I saw it: I needed to add a few inches on each side. After consideration I decided that I would simply make scarf like strips to the exact length of the side seam from bottom hem to sleeve cuff. My measurements came to 28″ long.
I chose to K2, P2 making sure the last two stitches are Knit for easier sewing later. I chose a rib knit because I did not want to worry about shaping, and the rib will stretch and shrink where it needs to. Here are my two side gussets all ready to go.
Matching the right sides of the front and gusset together, and pinning securely as the knitting has a way of moving around. I used a zig-zag stitch on my machine to attach. Then doing the same with the front. Hindsight being as is it, I believe that I should have knitted a flat garter stitch boarder on each side of the panel to make the seaming go smoother…Perhaps 2 stitches on each side.
I wonder what will come up next in the repair pile…